Sunday, March 15, 2015

Friday News (On Sunday - sorry!)

Here's a note from Mrs. Harris from her week of teaching in 1.1:

This week has been great; I have learned a lot from the students. We have studied the Psalms, Proverbs as well as reflected on David and Saul.  The students pay attention to everything.  On Wednesday one of the students asked me what was the temperature of the body.  I don't even know where the question came from, but I told the student that our body is at a constant temperature of 98.5.  So, I asked them why is our body so hot.  One student raised his hand and when I called on him to answer he said, "Because our body does not have a window".  I laughed so hard because I had never heard that one before. I always expected something new that I had not heard before in this class, and they always delivered.  I had a great time with them.

The week began with having to give them substance for their learning.  I brought in the sales papers and the magazines because I tried to come up with things that they use everyday to introduce polygons.  So we identified what a polygon was, cut out polygons, and glued them into their journals.  They also were told to draw at least 3 polygons on their bookmarks.  

For Reading strategies we learned the stretchy snake, the chunky monkey, their elephant ears, and fishy lips to help pronounce and try new words with the information that they already have.  We placed them in our journals as-well-as posted on the whiteboard are some clues to helping write.  We discussed, that they should always use a capital letter at the beginning, amongst three other things.  Our writing assignment was to write three sentences about their favorite season as a writing/science project.  

Culture Fair was awesome.  The students were so excited to visit their siblings classrooms.  They were excited about the culture fair as well.  

With much love and thanks,
Mrs. Harris


Next Week: 

Spelling Words: wish  child  she  push  shape  check shell  much  fish  chips  been  now

Bible Memory: “The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?” Psalm 27:1b

March 23rd - No School. Teacher Development Day